Sunday 18 March 2012

St Patrick's Day Cupcakes

Hi Hi everyone!


I am VERY hungover after a great day of St Patrick's Day Celebrations. Me and two of the girls  Nicky and Aasha joined my fellow matheletes on a pub bar crawl, watched the England rugby game and had a night out at Sheffield's 90s bar Babylon. I had a fantastic time but I am paying for it now!
Anyway with it being St Patrick's it was the perfect opportunity to make some St Paddy's day themed cupcakes :) I wanted to do something different this time, something a bit more creative and found a fab idea on the following site: http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com 
The gold under the rainbow idea seemed quite tricky but surprisingly it was quite simple.
I made the usual vanilla cupcake mix and let them cool. I then used out a knife to cut out the center of the cakes and filled them with yellow and orange m&m's to represent the gold. i then put part of the cake I cut out back on top to seal the m&m's in. 
I made the basic vanilla buttercream and used a large star nozzle to ice the cupcakes. I built the buttercream up so it was quite high. 
I used a paint brush and lots of different food colourings to  paint the icing to look like a rainbow. 
I finished off the cupcakes with the St Patrick's cupcake picks I got online and some gold edible glitter. These were the results:



Again the recipe can be found on the task bar :) I am going to try and attempt cakepops this week which I am really looking forward to, I've purchased a few things off amazon in preparation so I will blog about them sometime soon :)

Samantha Who (loves to bake)



6 comments:

  1. I already thought these were great with the icing, on discovering they contain M&Ms I think these are BRILLIANT!! I want one, send me one please xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can re-theme so make them for another occasion :D Cant wait for our April baking :D xxx

      Delete
  2. I seem never to be in Sheffield when you make these masterpieces! We shall have to look at each others diaries to see what times best for both of us lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Are you through this weekend? I am going to try Cakepops before I go home xxx

      Delete
  3. These are brilliant Sam! I have a lovely cakepop book so if you need any ideas let me know and I'll send you them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). I am going to have a go at the basics this week then might try some harder things later, you shall have to bring it up next time you visit :) xxx

      Delete