Sunday 23 September 2012

National Cupcake Week

Hi everyone!

I have been flying solo this week with the baking as my lovely partner in crime Rosie has been extremely busy starting college and making beautiful displays. But Buns and Roses is still on the cards and we have our next project over the next couple of weeks with a Simon's Cat themed birthday cake with also some other unusual ideas incorporated thanks to the request from Lucy. I will keep you updated as we really need to get pen to paper this week.

So it has been National Cupcake Week this week so I thought it would be a crime not to bake. I chose a neon theme and used some fantastic things in Morrisons at the moment including metallic pink, blue and silver bun cases and neon sugar sprinkles.  I chose to make pink, blue and yellow cupcake batter using gel food colourings, top with vanilla buttercream and then finish with the neon sugar sprinkles. I took these into work and unfortunately they disappeared before I could take a picture. I got couple of pictures of the last one:




I have had the boyfriend to stay this weekend and had a fab weekend shopping and relaxing. But he did remind me that it is his Mum and Dad's silver wedding anniversary on Wednesday. I decided I couldn't not bake something for them so whipped up a quick cake last night. Quite a challenge because I wanted a chilled evening with Xfactor, Cider and of course Luke haha. But I managed to quickly cook up the following:




It is vanilla sponge and mixed fruit jam topped with white regal icing. I used several different floral cutters and my new giant number cutters  to cut of of regal icing and painted them with food colouring and a paint brush. Not the normal approach but I took the idea of painting cake decorations from my lovely friend (who has just moved to Cambodia) Anna's childhood xmas cake decorating sessions. Hopefully it will be a taste success.

Did anyone else bake anything for National Cupcake Week? My next bake may be a cake for a work friends birthday or the Buns and Roses Birthday cake. I will keep you updated with another post coming shortly :)

Samantha Who (Loves to bake)





No comments:

Post a Comment