Tuesday 1 May 2012

TUTORIAL TUESDAY : Caramel Cheesecakes

Good evening!

I promised I would re introduce the Tutorial Tuesdays after a few weeks AWOL and this week its going to be Mini Caramel Cheesecakes <3. I have made full sized caramel cheesecakes before but wanted to use the mini star shaped tins my sister got me for xmas again (they last featured when I made the mini black forest gateaux).  I trawled the internet trying to look for recipes to use and they are either way too complicated or use american ingredients for which direct substitutes aren't available here. So I kind of made it up. The response from the boyrfriend wad the base wasnt really cheesecakey as I used ginger nuts so feel free to substitute for digestives as they give a more 'cheesecakey' base as he put it.

The full recipe if you want to make these has been added to the task bar at the top, but for a taster here are the basics:

So I started with greasing the mini star tins, you could do this in muffin tins but I think you would have to grease them well. Then preheating the oven to 170 degrees.

I then made the bases by mixing 240g of biscuit crumbs with 4tbsp of light brown soft sugar and 70g melted butter. (its easy to make biscuit crumbs by putting the biscuits in a see through food bag and rolling with a rolling pin.) I then packed the crumbs evenly between the tins and put in the oven for 5 minutes.

To make the filling I creamed 450g cream cheese then added 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, 30g sifted flour and 200g of light brown sugar and stired well. I then added two eggs one at a time stiring well. The mix was then shared equally between the tins and put in the oven for 20 min (until set).

When they were cool I spread a layer of dulce de leche on top and sprinkled on a few pieces of chopped up snickers.

And volia :
Caramel Cheesecakes - Picture taken by the lovely Chris Green (Luke's flatmate)

So thats it, they are pretty simiple and I think they could wow at a dinner party? Tommorow I am making Nicky's Birthday Cake so I will let you know how it goes :), fingers crossed. I will probably post again Saturday about the cake and cupcakes for Nicky's Party and then I've got the cupcake decorating class to look forward to on Sunday :D.

Ciao for now,
Samantha Who (loves to bake)

1 comment: